January 27, 2011

Your Worth, My Worth, Our Worth...

We all know in our mind that God does not place more value and worth on one above another. Every soul is equally precious to Him. BUT, somehow, somewhere deep in the recesses of my mind and heart, I can't help but feel that maybe, just maybe, some are more precious to Him than others.  

For most part of my Christian life, I have thought that those who are more talented and who serve God better than I do are more precious and valuable to Him. When in comparison to such people, my self-esteem and self-worth take a nose-dive. Low self-esteem or a lack of self-worth is a DIS-ease that a large number of us suffer from.

One day, while reading the Bible, my heart leapt for joy when I came upon some scriptures that set my foolish thinking straight! I found out that, (contrary to my twisted mind) to God, we are all of equal worth. As far as He is concerned, no one is more valuable than another. Don't believe me? See for yourself!

"Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying:'When you take the census of the children of Israel for their number, then every man shall give a ransom for himself to the Lord, when you number them, that there may be no plague among them when you number them. This is what everyone among those numbered shall give: half a shekel according to the shekel of the sanctuary... The rich shall not give more and the poor shall not give less...'" Exo 30:11-15

A ransom is the price one pays for the redemption of a life. According to this scripture, whether one is rich (in materials or gifts or abilities) or poor, the ransom price is the same - half a shekel. In terms of silver and gold, it's not much, I should say. But, more importantly, it shows that we are all  of equal  worth in the eyes of God.

Your worth, my worth, our worth is not determined by our service, possessions, abilities, and talents. There is a line in a song that says, "Nothing you can do could make Him love you more. And nothing that you've done could make Him close the door...".
Jesus demonstrated on the cross at Calvary that we are worth dying for! You are worth more than you could ever imagine...not just half a shekel but the life of the Son of God! 

Your worth, my worth, our worth...

~portions excerpted from my book, A Peek into the Father's Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment