January 22, 2011

A Good Name

My name is Yoke Lan; Mandarin for Magnolia. Some years ago, I was in the Summer Palace, Beijing and the Magnolia was in full bloom. I heard the locals calling out my name (in Mandarin) and commenting how beautiful 'Yoke Lan' is. This sure did put a smile in my heart for the rest of the trip. I was at the right place, at the right time :). 
Proverbs 22:1 says "A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches..." A good name! Some people have great riches but the mention of their name brings all kinds of remarks and snickers, even shudders...great riches but bad name!

I would like the mention of my name to evoke warm feelings and place a smile on someone's heart and face.  

Jesus, just the mention of Your name...flowers grow, the desert blooms again. Like the fire in winter's cold, like the pure and precious gold...Jesus, just the mention of Your name!

Wouldn't it be nice to have both, not to have to choose between one or the other? However, sometimes in life we have to make choices; between maintaining a good name or great riches.

Help us, Lord!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment